Flying Purple Hippos Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Westworld

So I watched the 1973 movie the show was based on. It was basically just "here's westworld, also medieval world and roman world, here's people doing some shit in those places, oh no the robots turned on us and now we're all dead except for one guy."

My first thought was that the William guy was a young version of Ed Harris when he first started turning up. But then as the show progressed I dismissed that thought because they did a decent job of presenting the two stories with old William and young William as happening in the same timeline.

I do agree that Anthony Hopkins must be around to make this story worth watching.

S3 bump

more and more humans turn out to be robots, no more anthony hopkins

why the hell am I watching this show, please remind me of what good shows there have been in the past 10 years that I haven't watched yet

also since this is the bad tv show thread, the man in the high castle is so bad

Posted (edited)

it started ok, season 2 was too slow for a while, then it got good for a while before what the fuck

Edited by Dave

Posted (edited)

This show's thematic ambitions (free will! emergence of consciousness! annihilation of liberty under the omniscient corporate surveillance state!) are too grand for its writers who, admirably, just want to show us tits and guns, and its audience, who, less admirably, just wants to see those things

Edited by Frog

is the badness of the man in the high castle an exceptional, rich sort of badness, or is it just a regular garden variety badness

I've finally got around to watching the young pope but, alas, so far it's good, and therefore unfit for this thread

man in the high castle is a competition among all the characters to be as stupid as possible while wearing enough layers of plot armor to bog down a hippo and lasciviously smearing themselves in the pathos of synthetic guilt

:soggy:but also it's just intriguing enough that you think it's gonna be awesome when you figure it all out, but it keeps letting you down

Yes the universe is almost intriguing enough to pull you along though I still gave up, then today I realized I can just spend a couple hours reading the book so I downloaded it for my e-reader from the library

anyways the last episode of this show that I watched was the one where aaron paul takes a pill that makes the creators of the show think that they are true experimental innovators and proceed to bash the viewer over the head with an incoherent pastiche of styles because they didn't break enough walls with the thematic pastiche of previous seasons, and though I shut off the TV before the storyline of this episode could reach whatever unsatisfactory resolution it was bound for, I worry that I have already been injured by some piece of this crumbling edifice that came down in this process

I mean, if westworld is supposed to depict some corruption of technology and leisure, that corruption has successfully swallowed the whole of the series and it is just an entertainment black hole

I liked Man in the High Castle when it was a straight alternate history show, but then it became some sort of weird time travel scifi show and that was dumb.

my policy of never watching more than one season of any show that does not involve popes appears to be hugely beneficial for my psychological well-being

• Dugong 1

Posted (edited)

as a straight alternate history show, the setting for man in the high castle is great, but then the plot and the characters are so stupid that I lose suspension of disbelief

(which is why I will read the book because even if the plot is silly you can do that in a book while in a tv show you need to signify silly which this show does not)

anyways, the plot against america miniseries came along and is much better for this, even though some characters are so stupid you want to beat them over the head, but they are stupid in thoroughly recognizable and therefore believable ways

Edited by Frog

1 hour ago, Frog said:

(which is why I will read the book because even if the plot is silly you can do that in a book while in a tv show you need to signify silly which this show does not)

Ahaha trying to put a library ebook on my old ebook reader with Adobe Digital Editions, the software Adobe must have tasked all of their worst programmers they couldn't fire for whatever reason to, ahaha 1 hour later:suicide:

Anyway I finally got the book, lol in the book the film is a book. 

okay the book was good but I recognize that amazon does everything in pursuit of greater profit and so there was no motive to be faithful to the substance or texture of the book