Flying Purple Hippos Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lief

Rewatching Dexter

IIRC I watched the first and second seasons and then stopped. Supposedly 4 is very good (the John Lithgow season). Should I just watch 1-4 and then stop?

• Dugong 1

everyone is always drenched in sweat on this show... sweatiest thing on tv... disgusting

wow always a pleasure to see the great Jimmy Smits, I hope he doesn't get murdered :!emo:

Yeah probably stop after 4. 5 bad. Most people hate 6, I thought it was pretty decent. I think 7 was good? Or at least had potential? Then season 8 was just awful.

• Dugong 1

I've been meaning to rewatch 1, 2 and 4 for like a year now

I think that it's really interesting just how quickly it turns from great tv to complete shit. I remember that we simulwatched s5e1 with joost the day it came out and literally 5 minutes in we were like "wait why is this show really stupid now"

6 and 7 both had like two good episodes apiece and yeah looking back 6 at least was trying to be fun. But all of 5-8 are really fascinating because you watch them and you can't believe that actual adult humans came up with them and then produced them, I strongly advise you to pick one of them and just meditate on the state of this (6 or 8 probably, everyone remembers the lumberjack finale from 8 but honestly it's not even in the top 10 of the most ridiculous things in that season. It barely even makes it to the top 3 most ridiculous things in the final 10 minutes tbh)

• Dugong 1

Posted (edited)

don't want to be hyperbolic BUT the season 4 thanksgiving episode may be one of the best episodes of TV ever?

Not only do we get an incredible horror at Arthur's house, there's a fun little farce at Dexter's house (minus Dexter) to break the tension. Tremendous!

And then the insane twist at the end!!

Edited by Lief

I do think though this would be a much better show if they did ten episodes per season and cut out 2 hours worth of C and D plots. Like I don't need to know as much as I do about Batista's love life each season?

• Dugong 1

So Deb just ends up having sex with every single character on this show?

I have no idea what are you referring to because several years on almost all the dexter side-plots kind of melted down in my brain into a uniform slush of badness

dexter: *forces us to watch two excruciating seasons of Batista and LaGuerta being in a relationship for some reason*

also dexter: *randomly divorces them off screen in between season 5 and 6*

????????

I have finished season 7 and am about to start season 8. The quality has definitely dropped, but so far not as much as Game of Thrones did between its similarly very good 4th season and similarly hilariously bad finale. I actually thought the Dexter/Deb storyline in season 7 was pretty good, though every scene not involving those two continued to be extremely boring.

Very excited to see how bad the final twelve episodes are though!

Wow he really does just drive his boat into a hurricane and then become a lumberjack and then the show ends without any resolution of anything............. jesus christ