Flying Purple Hippos Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Veggie

World Domination: And Now For Something Different

Updates will occur 4am EST each day.

Right now it is FINALE TURN 10, Day 8, 10am-1pm.

World Map, Day 1

World Map, Night 1

World Map, Day 2

World Map, Night 2

World Map, Day 3

World Map, Night 3

World Map, Day 4

World Map, Night 4

World Map, Day 5

World Map, Night 5

World Map, Day 6

World Map, Night 6

-----------------

World Map, Finale 1: 7am - 10am

World Map, Finale 2: 10am - 1pm

World Map, Finale 3: 1pm - 4pm

World Map, Finale 4: 4pm - 7pm

World Map, Finale 5: 7pm - 10pm

World Map, Finale 6: 10pm - 1am

World Map, Finale 7: 1am - 4am

World Map, Finale 8: 4am - 7am

World Map, Finale 9: 7am - 10am

The current world map.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medieval Europe. It’s a dangerous time to be a soldier. Enemies come at you with pointy sticks and flying balls of fire, arrows and bolts, and if you’re unlucky, the fluorescent aura about a magus’ hands that signals sorcery and death. It had not taken long for the greed of Kings to overrule the peasant fear of witchcraft, and as far as a mercenary was concerned – mercenaries like yourselves – it simply meant one more way by which you could end up dead, unburied, limbs and intestines spilling across the barren countryside.

So why risk it all? Why choose the life of a nomad and a dead-man, over … well, over what? Peasantry? Options for survival were especially scant in northern Italy, a land devoid of authority or security, at least from the government. The life of a mercenary – or perhaps bandits, as some would call them – was in truth the best option they had. And perhaps the darker side within them exulted in shameful delight, as they realised day after day the horror and impact of their steel on flesh.

Whatever the reasons, they were there, and that was that. What drew their attention was less metaphysical discourse than loot and power, and here was a prize that none of them could have dreamed of under normal circumstances. Flatullo Corleone, the Protector of Rome, has expired due to an extraordinary accident involving a fluffy, window-side bed, six hawt virgins and, fatally, copious amounts of olive oil. Italy’s greatest storehouse of riches now lay open to whoever could arrive first… and then overcome its still-formidable defences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You, the player, will control a mercenary band of fifty soldiers, all equipped with bow and sword, situated near the River Po.

• You cannot split your mercenaries,meaning they must stay in the general area on the map. But while nearby you can maneuvre them differently.
  • All your troops are equipped with a bow and a sword unless otherwise specified. You have no forge or hammer / anvil to speak of.
  • Manpower is scarce. You can get lots of extra goodies and some extra magic, but getting extra manpower is extremely difficult, unless you make a deal with other players to take their troops.
  • You have one general character that represents you on the field. He will not die and make you lose the game, but having him injured may mean your orders are not as well followed!
  • You each have one magus who can cast one type of spell. There is no recharge time. You can get more magic by kidnapping / capturing others' magi or finding special items of magical power.
  • All players are visible on the world map unless a) in forests, b) concealed by extraordinary means. You will also get World Updates each turn detailing in general and funny terms what happened to everybody that turn. (i.e. This player was attacked and lost horribly.)

Your ultimate aim is to capture Rome. But if you just run to Rome you’ll likely be unable to take it. Every labelled spot on the map below has something of power, and if you miss out on them you’ll be left weaker than your competitors. You need to balance your desire for these extra goodies and your ultimate goal, all the while making sure that other players don’t interrupt you. Are you going to co-operate with some of them and try to attack the others? It’s definitely possible and I’d say making a team is the best and perhaps only way to success.

So what do you do? Each turn, you will get a a post on the thread that describes the general state of affairs, and a PM that describes what YOU and your mercenaries see and do. The email will also give you a list of things you can do next turn, which will always include the option to move towards a location on the map (or towards another person’s army).

Depending on where you are and what you are doing, you will also have some special options available to you. For example, you might have just run into another player’s mercenaries. Then you would get a host of different, wacky options like “Run away”, “Challenge to single combat”, “Hide in the dirt and make pig-oinks” and “Act insane and hope he will ignore you”.

Finally, remember: innovation and wackiness is still very welcome and rewarded in World Domination. If you want to do something that is not an option presented in your email, then feel free to tell me what you want to do. However, you should also say “in case my move is not accepted, I would pick X from your list of choices.” You can also make addenda and additional notes to your choice from the multi-choice selection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercenary Bands That Still Live: Name (Number of Troops) Change Since Last Turn

• p_pm.gifpost-9-1170416131.jpgShusky (0) -5 Possesses Fire, Frost
  • p_pm.gifpost-9-1170415946.jpgHal (2) -- Possesses Unknown Spell, Wooden Shields
  • p_pm.gifpost-9-1170415869.jpgDW (48) -- Possesses Nothing
  • p_pm.gifpost-9-1170416072.jpgpr2 (13) -7 Possesses Trebuchet, Nature Summon, Holy Water
  • p_pm.gifpost-9-1170416105.jpgRaider (2) -2 Possesses Unfailing Attraction, Distraction, Expeditious Retreat, Ethiopian Slave, 2 Long Whips, 2 Holy Water, Damaged Anti-Magic Orb (Still Usable), Wooden Shields, Unknown Mundane Item
  • p_delete.gifpost-9-1170415701.jpgArcher (2) -- Possesses Guns, Gunpowder, Spiders in a Jar
  • p_pm.gifpost-9-1170415918.jpgFM (32)-7 Possesses Zombify, some Zombies, Unknown Spell, Zombie Golem, Unidentified Zombie
  • THE ROMANS: 25 LEFT

Mercenary Bands That Have Expired:

• post-9-1170415965.jpgHotchipsDeath by Modkill, inactivity
  • post-9-1170416152.jpgSoggy Death by resignation
  • post-9-1170415753.jpgPD Death by modkill, banned for all future forum games
  • post-9-1170416336.jpgNidhogg Death by Modkill, inactivity
  • post-9-1170415842.jpgDF Death cause he's gone to Switzerland for a week
  • post-9-1170416036.jpgLief Death by pwnage
  • post-9-1170416180.jpgTalon Death by defeat in battle
  • post-9-1170416054.jpgMike Death by defeat in battle

Errr... *Twiddles thumbs*

And it's version 9 i think. But I could be wrong. Theias killed mine.

I have a v6 on my HD. I thought veggie did one after me? So at least 8. I think.

PR2's penguin went anorexic because of it, too.

And nid's dragon.

But as long as Talon's flag is intact, everything is fine.

Uh... I thought everyone started with 50 men? Now DW's just gonna win out of sheer dumb luck :blink:

Veg: Learn to read. Would I randomly give DW a starting condition that is twice as good as everyone else?

Edited by Avenger

DW is either Russian or ZERG

Doesn't matter, I'll hang out with pr2 and sulk in a corner :(

Edited by Shusky

Maybe all of his men share a collective IQ of 140...

My guess is that they are utter savages with no order, or are completely weak and russian.

I've got some moves so far, and some of them are pretty fun for the first turn moves.

If nothing too interesting is happenign to you inthe first turn (i couldnt make them all like that), don't worry - at the end of the turn you'll get a World Story Update that tells you the funny things that happened to everybody else, in general.

Awesome.

Question: was mine one of the "Pretty fun" ones? :p

You can take dan's place.

And... Anyone up for a 10 way Lief gangbang? Since he's in the middle and all.

Well, the first turn hasn't even ended yet and he's starting it up again. No, we're not going to gangbang Lief, and no we're not going to not gangbang Lief. We're going to play the way we're going to play, and you're not going to get any allies unless they're idiots :p

Ok. Have fun with being the farthest away from anything interesting, with the most evilness inbetween. :p

Correction: I'm closer to interesting things than Niddy, as I'm closer to the road and to whatever happens between DF, Hal, and Talon.

Edit: and you just want to distract people so you can run ahead to all the goodies, etc.

I predict that your first move will move you in the direction of the church :p

Edited by ArCHeR

Ravioli forest is the closest thing of interest to either of you. And he's uh... closer.

And the road isn't even labeled you dipshit. I asked him to add it in for cosmetic reasons :lol:

Not by as much as I'm closer to the cluster to the south. And he has about 200 men between him and the forest...

A cluster of people is quite interesting...